Today was my 7th visit with my Physical Therapist. Mike is awesome. He's probably in his 40s, really passionate, and is really good with his patients. I really like him. He tries his best not to hurt me, and really listens to what my body is saying. (When I had surgery 12 years ago, the therapist DIDN'T listen and I think that is part of why I'm having problems now)
Last week, I had a heart to heart with him about needing my life back. He said we have to do things, step by step, and the most non-evasive ways are the ones we're going to do first. Well, duh!
So, on Wednesday, we had another short conversation - I'm more swollen than I was when I started PT. "Call Dr. Brown" - I needed to be switched from Aleve to Mobic. Okay, that's done. And he said we'd "re-evaluate" my needs on Monday (today).
Today came. This weekend was a PAINFUL weekend. Like, crying painful. Stabbing, sharp knife being dug into knee painful... Ouch! Even when it's not stabbing, it's a constant pain. It sucks. I need my life back. I need to do laundry, clean my kitchen, take care of my dogs. I need to get down on the floor with my students, carry buckets of flowers at the shop..... I NEED these things. I love what I do.
Mike re-evaluated me today. I'm more swollen today than I've ever been. This is after doing 2-3 loads of laundry yesterday, and that's IT for being on my feet. So, no more exercises. None. He took them all out. Why? Because it's irritating things more (about damn time "we" figure that out!). He still can't get over how loose my knee cap is and when he has me raise and lower my knee, it just grinds. His expression was not a good one - it actually kind of worried me!
Instead of exercises, we did a few "rest the knee" treatments. He did an "ice rub" - take ice cubes and rub them around my knee for 5-7 minutes. Then he applied a medicated patch to my knee that stays on for 2 hours. He'll do it again on Wednesday, and again on Thursday.
The biggest thing: I have to call the ortho again. He wants me to be seen this time - not just make a phone call. He thinks Dr. Brown will do 1-2 of 3 things:
1. Put me on Prednisone for 5 days to help calm my knee down. The down fall of this? It can lower my immune system... and working with PK kids during cold/flu season, and having a compomised immune system... not something I'd really enjoy. Plus, Prednisone makes me HUNGRY and BITCHY.
2. Do a CT of how my knee cap sits. I've already had the xray and MRI. I don't know that the CT would show anything different, but what do I know.
3. Start talking surgery. Mike thinks this will be Dr. Brown's LEAST likely decision because I've only had PT for 2 weeks. But, if we don't start talking surgery, he will at least "prescribe" more PT. (You have to have an active order for it or insurance doesn't cover it)
So, I'll be calling right at 8:00 to find out when I can get in. I'm hoping I'll be able to get in quick - I'll probably have to take a 1/2 day or something to make it work. Let's hope my principal is in a good mood when I let her know about this!
I guess that's about it -- Nothing new in the weight loss area. We begin our Foster Care classes tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll have another update then!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Yikes! I'm so sorry that you're going through so much with your knee! I'm glad Mike is listening to you and you both can come up with a solution for you.
Have fun at your class tonight! I hope you'll share how it went.
Good luck!
Post a Comment