Thankfully, no tornadoes were sighted last night, but the storm really came out of nowhere. I was still at the shop when the storms came through Council Bluffs. Right about 5:00, we went outside to check the skies.

This was to the Southwest ~ basically looking into Omaha. Carter Lake would be to your right (north). It started with strong winds, then an insane amount of rain and hail. Before we knew it, the hail stopped and the rain went to a sprinkle. We ran to the basement thinking the tornado was coming, and our power was out so we couldn't watch the news. But, thankfully, nothing.

Some of it melted, but you can see the size of some of the hail we had.
Not everyone was so lucky...There were 2 fatalities in Omaha. The two boys and the girl who survived all were from Council Bluffs. A freak accident, and so absolutely heart-wrenching. I can't imagine what the girl must be feeling.
After the storm cleared Council Bluffs and I felt safe to drive home, I headed that way. Alot of streets were flooded, but I made it home safely. David had gone on a rescue call. A man on a motorcycle was hit by a falling tree. He was alive when they got to the hospital, so hopefully he made it.
The Qwest center got damage as well. They lost part of their siding and one of their statues broke. What a mess! But, according to the paper, they are going on with the Olympic Trials starting tomorrow.

We had power in the house, but this greeted us in the backyard:

You can't tell, but it was the top of our biggest tree in the yard. It is as tall (or wide - whatever you want to call it) as me, and about 10 feet long. We're going to worry about it on Monday (David had to work this weekend). And we had mild flooding in our yard, which is somewhat normal when we get alot of rain.
David decided to go on the fire truck and do a quick survey around the city to make sure everything was okay. Sheila and I went to Baker's to get something for dinner. She wanted to stop and check on her son, daughter-in-law, and twin granddaughters. I'm nto quite sure where we were at (she took back roads to get there), but it's in East Omaha, I think around 16th and Leavenworth, but I could be wrong.

This was outside of their apartment building. The truck belongs to their neighbor. Nobody was in the vehicle when the tree fell.
So, I guess the point of this blog, besides showing friends/family from out-of-state is make sure your loved ones know how much you care for them. You never know when the last time you see them will be.



No comments:
Post a Comment