Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Skillet Macaroni and Cheese

Here's another YUMMY recipe for you! I don't usually like Mac & Cheese because it tastes over processed... the homemade mac & cheese that I grew up on was, well, eh..... not so good. But, this? This is healthy AND yummy!

POINTS: 6
Serves:4

Ingredients (see the note at the bottom)

8 oz whole-wheat macaroni (I couldn't find whole-wheat macaroni, so I used whole-wheat rotini)
1 TBSP butter
5 tsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 TBSP plain dried bread crumbs
1 TBSP grated Parmesan

Directions

Cook the macaroni according to package directions, omitting the salt if desired; drain.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk. Increase the heat and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the cheddar, salt, and pepper, whisking until the cheese is melted. Add the pasta to the ceese sauce, stirring to coat.

Preheat the broiler.

Stir the bread crumbs and Parmesan together in a small bowl; sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese in the skillet. Broil 5 inches from the heat source, until the crumbs are browned, about 1 minute.

(NOTE) Now, for my meat-eating husband..... We added 1 grilled chicken breast that I shredded. It added just enough extra that made it even yummier! We added 1 POINT for the chicken. Next time, I want to saute onion, green/red pepper, and mushrooms and throw that in also. We LOVE fresh veggies and I think it would have been the perfect addition! I can't wait to make it again with the add-ins.

1 comment:

Hua said...

Thank You for sharing this recipe, home made mac& cheese, pure comfort!

Also, thank you for being an active voice in the weight loss community. I am the Director of Blogger Relations at Wellsphere and I believe that you would be a valued resource in our HealthBlogger Network, which currently has over 2,600 of the best health writers on the web.

After reviewing your blog, I see that you meet our standards joining, so I'd like to invite you to participate as a Top Health Blogger. As a Top Health Blogger, you would republish your writing on the Wellsphere platform (now with over 6 million visits a month), and yet you retain ownership and all rights to the control of your content.

If this opportunity interests you, please visit http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger or email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

Have a wonderful day,

Best,
Hua
Director of Blogger Networks