Monday, June 29, 2009

Famous quotes that have touched my life this week

A picture is worth a thousand words.

And for once, I believe "they" are right:




This skirt is obviously too big for me, right? Well, guess what - I used to WEAR this skirt on a regular basis. In fact, I wore it on my first date with David, and when we had pictures taken on our first anniversary. It was a size 22W. David argued with me about whether or not I had ever been that big. I said, "David, I have proof!" And I grabbed one of our anniversary pictures. He still can't believe it!

We are doing a garage sale in a few weeks, so my closet has been cleaned out. I went from a very full closet to 3 pairs of slacks (1 is too big, but not *super* big), and a handful of tops (again, some are a little big, but not tent-like). So, this garage sale is now being called Rebuild Amanda's Closet Sale! We're putting other stuff in, also, but David and I are both needing new clothes. I especially need them for work in the fall.

This is the outfit, including jean skirt, that I was able to wear Friday night:

This was a Size 12 jean skirt from Penny's that is dressy enough I can wear it at work if I want, or I can dress it down for date night. The top was a Calvin Klein medium from Burlington Coat Factory!

2 plus 2 doesn't always equal 4
The other morning, I started wondering if I should REALLY be teaching America's future leaders! I was on my morning run, and had decided to do things a little differently. Usually I would run 4 minutes, walk 1 1/2 minutes, and repeat the entire time. Well, by the end I'm dying! Praying that the stopwatch would just say the next number, right?

Well, Sunday morning, I decided to do intervals of running 3, 5, or 8 minutes and walking 2. I was able to complete 2 "circults" of this before getting home. As I'm doing my second 8 minutes - having a really tough time because it's starting to warm up and I've been out for 45 minutes at this point.... When I started running, I glanced at the stopwatch and it was at 41:00. So, I know I have to go until 49:00. 48:00 and I stop running. I started walking, recovering, and literally said to myself "Wait a minute. 41+8=49, not 48. DUH!" And picked it back up for the last minute. Oops! But, regardless, I had a great run! I'm going to the gym in the morning unless it's considerably cooler when I wake up. I'm hoping to run a straight mile, and then do intervals for the rest!

Are you eating because you are Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired?

This is a quote that I hear relatively often with Weight Watchers. And yet, after 17 months and 66 lbs gone, I still have trouble with this. Last week, I gained 3.4 lbs. I'm still under goal, but it was really an eye opener. I guess I had hit a point where I didn't think that I ate for stress anymore. I knew I ate for boredom, but veggies could usually satisfy me. But with all the added stress from the last few weeks, I've realized that I am STILL an emotional eater. And I probably always will be. I need to work through this. I need to get up and exercise, walk the dogs, get online, drink some water, take a nap, do something in the garden... SOMETHING, ANYTHING, besides EATING!

I'm also re-identifying my trigger foods. My mother-in-law tries really hard to understand what Weight Watchers is about. But, now, she has taken it too far. Instead of saying "Well, that's not on your diet," it's "well you said you can eat anything you want!" Okay, you're right. But in moderation. And I don't eat trigger foods - chips and dip - because it leads to major binging! But, she doesn't get that, and then makes me feel guilty for not eating any. Then, my anxiety gets going because she's upset with me, and I'm dealing with all the family drama and other stuff, and....... I pop to jar of dip and the bag of chips and dig in. Now, I wasn't the only one to eat, but the jar was empty within 45 minutes. Oops!

It will happen when it happens
Seriously. If one more flipping person tells me that we will get pregnant "in God's time," I am going to SCREAM. And I'm going to rip them a new one. Then, they say "Well, you can't POSSIBLY want a pregnancy right now with everything that is going on????" Um, well, yeah, actually. I do. Thanks for being so thoughtful.

David's mom's neighbor is pregnant again. She has a 6 month old and lives off of disability and medicaid. Her husband works, but doesn't make much. They get so much aide it makes me sick. Why can SHE get pregnant, but David and I can't?

What upsets me is that people who know me well are "scared" to talk to me about fertility. They don't want to upset me. But, then, I found out in a difficult situation - they say "Did you hear I'm pregnant?" OH GREAT! (insert fake smile and walk away from situation) Now, don't get me wrong - babies are a blessing. And if you are in a stable relationship, making decent money, and able to raise your child on your own, I'm happy for you. Yeah, it makes me a little sad that it's not me. But, congratulations! Now, don't make me listen to every single little detail about it, please.

Well, I think that's it for the quotes... Hope you enjoyed the different style! There were just so many things that I wanted to talk about, so I thought this was the best way to do it!

5 comments:

iateach82 said...

Wow! What a difference those clothes make! You have made outstanding progress!

I can understand your frustration with pregnancy and I wish I had some great advice, saying, etc. to help you out, but I don't. I just hope and pray that you and your husband will have children who are happy and healthy! I'm pulling for you!

Amy said...

Wow, your blog is so inspiring. I'm currently a 20/22 and am looking to lose about 70 lbs. You look great! :) I bet it's a thrill to go shopping for new clothes and to treat yourself

Hazel said...

WOW! That picture really does show how far you have come, doesn't it? Congrats on all of your success!

I don't think I ever heard the HALT phrase during my WW meetings. I like it.

You guys are going to be fantastic parents. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Sarah Louise said...

You look great! Congratulations. I love the NEW skirt!!!!

K said...

You should be so proud of yourself. Very few people are able to accomplish what you have- to make life lasting changes to their diet and exercise. Good for you! You look so fabulous!

Yeah, the people who say "God's timing" mean well- but they just don't get it. I honestly think it's a hurtful thing to say, however well-intentioned b/c it's like saying that God hasn't picked you for some reason. I don't personally believe that... for what it's worth. Obviously there's very little justice in the world of fertility. I really want you to get your baby too. :(