Friday, July 31, 2009

Another week gone by...

Much has happened this week! Let's see if I can sum it all up without overlapping from last week's post....

General Life
David and I decided several months ago that we wanted to look into Foster Care. (did I tell you about this? If I did, sorry!) So, back in June, we turned in our paperwork and attended the orientation. 6 weeks later... We've been approved to take the classes!!!! Basically, our background checks came back clean (duh!) and they like what they see on the somewhat basic application. We start the classes on October 6. They are 10 weeks long and basically teach you how to help children the best you can in the situation they are in. It also involves 3 home visits - they will come in and let us know what we need to fix to make it safe for children (smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, chemicals/medicines locked up, etc...). We finish the class December 8, and then wait for the license to come through. After that, they can place kids in our home when needed. Yes, we can tell them "No." But, we're thinking we will have kids in our home by the end of January! Please pray for us through this adventure... We are nervous, but excited!!

My sleep study consult appointment is coming up - it's in 1 week! I'm hoping we can get this sleep study done quick so that I can find out why I am SO DAMN TIRED! David is going with me, and I have to do a sleep diary for the next week.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I report back to school in 11 days. EEK! Where in the world did the summer go? I've been at an early childhood training all week (optional, but paid) and have gotten quite a few good ideas. I'm excited to get back and implement the new things with my kids! I am thinking about going back a day or two early so that I can get a head start. I need to get organized, and I'm the first to admit that I'm not. I don't utilize all the materials that I have in the classroom. This is my 5th group of kids and I don't think that I even know everything that I have! So I'm changing that this year. It is going to be a great year!

5K Training

Well, we only have 15 days left! I really can't believe that the summer has gone so fast and we are so close to the race! Last night, David and I decided to go out to the lake where the race will be. We don't know the route - hopefully it is posted soon - but we picked a way and went. We went at our own pace and I made it out about 2 miles in 25 minutes. I was able to jog all but 7 minutes of the 4 miles! I got done with the entire thing in about 50 minutes. I'm happy with this time because that's almost a mile more than the actual 5K distance! One thing I found out: Zorinsky has WAY to many hills! Oh. My. Goodness!

We are going to go out a few more times before the race and try different routes. From the posted starting point, there are 3 different directions, so we want to do all 3. Hopefully the other 2 won't be so darn hilly!

Weigh In

We were back home this week and got to go to our normal meeting. I was expecting to gain, or maintain, because we had Chinese the night before. Granted, I didn't eat all too bad, but I always retain water because of the sodium. I also ate a REALLY big lunch at my district training because I was bored and there were cookies... Yes, I still fall to the trigger foods. But, yesterday, I only had 1 cookie! I didn't eat 4 like the day before!

So, I gained 3 lbs. David did amazing this week. He lost 13 lbs!!!! He got his 50 lbs charm, and we figured out that he's actually lost 70 lbs from the first time he started! I am so, so proud of him. He is melting in front of my eyes. When we hug, we can both put our arms around each other and touch our hands together. We've never been able to do that because we were both heavy. Now, I'm down 66 lbs and he's down 70!

6 comments:

Devon said...

Congratulations to your husband! That is an amazing accomplishment!

The Hagan Dirt said...

I am so proud of you and David on your weightloss. thats AWESOME! I totally need your motivation and determination. I am also excited about your foster parenting. That is something that I would LOVE to do. You guys will be great.

iateach82 said...

Congrats to your hubby! You'll lose those 3 pounds in no time!!! Have a great weekend!

K said...

That's so great about David's weightloss! You two have practically lost a whole person when you put your losses together!

Good luck on the foster care adventures. Our best friends are foster parents and I work with foster kids. It takes a special kind of person- that's for sure! (Loving and compassionate, but tough and able to withstand heartache and disappointment. Living in the moment because each day is so uncertain! Able to see past the defenses the kids have) Those kids need love so badly- its such a very sacred work and responsibility!

Anyway, side note. I have made my blog private. Email me at kmdancy@yahoo.com so I can get you access.

KStar said...

Congrats to your husband on his weight loss, and to both of you on your decision to foster!

Hazel said...

Congrats to you both!

I'm not sure I knew you guys applied to become foster parents. That is so great! I bet you'll enjoy the classes, even though I'm sure the process will seem so long.

Keep up the great working in training!