Thursday, July 10, 2008

Say it 5 times fast!

Okay, ready? Here's your phrase:
Epiploic Appendagitis

Oh, I forgot to mention - you have to pronounce it right too! Can't? Well, that's okay. Either can I. But, that's what I have. So, here's the run down of my week:
Saturday night: severe abdominal pain, passed clot. In ER for 6 hrs; CT, b/w, u/a. All clean. *possible* stone passing ~ somewhere near bladder at the time.
Sunday: very lethargic. David took me back to ER. 4 hrs; b/w, u/a. Nadda. Genious Dr thinks it's abdominal wall pain. Gave me an Rx for Vicadin. Didn't fill because David had to work tonight.
Monday: more pain, very lethargic. David told me to try Ibuprofen before the Vicadin. Didn't help. Got the Vicadin. Didn't help either.
Tuesday: went to GP because I was so weak. No pain today, though. She has no clue. Radiologist's review of CT confused even her! Said to call if anything changed.
Wednesday: Pain came back with a vengeance after I ate breakfast. Called GP. Go get u/s Thursday morning. Pain got worse throughout the day. Spent another 8 hrs in ER. Had u/s done. Came back perfectly clean. Given Percoset for pain ~ no more Vicadin.
This morning: All of 3 hrs of sleep. Hurt like hell. Called GP. Fought with nurse to talk to dr. Finally talked to dr. Go to ER, get admitted. Showed up at ER. 5 hrs later, sent home with "diagnosis."

So, here's what it breaks down to: Around your colon, there are these little nodules. Everybody has them. Sometimes, they get twisted and inflamed, causing severe pain. This can be mistaken for appendicitis or diverticulosis. So, I'm taking 600mg Ibuprofen 3x a day for a week as an anti-inflamatory and some pain relief. If I have extra pain, I can take Percoset every 6 hours. If it continues or gets worse even with all this, I get to go back again and say, "Idiots, you were wrong! Now figure this out."

But, for now, the pain is better. It comes and goes ~ especially after I eat or move around alot. Puppies are at daycare (since I thought I was going to be staying longer than 6 hours this time), and David comes home in the morning! Unfortunately, this is his weekend to work, so he's gone again Saturday morning.

So, off to bed I go! I feel pretty good right now ~ bag of fluids, strong pain killers at hospital, meal at Village Inn, and first dose of Ibuprofen ~ what could be better?!?

1 comment:

WantWait&Pray said...

Wow! What a week you had! I hope you are feeling better! How are you? Email when you are feeling up to it!