Saturday, May 2, 2009

Lesson(s) Learned

Something Weight Watchers talks about is controlling your environment. When you know where you're going for a meal, you check online and find something healthy. If they don't have online menus, you search for keywords like grilled, whole wheat, etc.... You ask for a box when the food comes out.

Well, I work at the flower shop every Saturday. I always bring my lunch because I rarely get a break to go get something. Hell, I'm lucky to sit down for 5 minutes to eat sometimes. The owner offered Quizno's for lunch today. I love Quizno's. Love. With a capital L. So, I ordered my favorite: Chipotle Raspberry Flatbread Salad. Sounds healthy, right? Well, it's lettuce, tomato, chicken, cheddar cheese, a creamy raspberry dressing, and bread. This bread is to die for. Seriously. It's why I order it. Of course, it's not the healthiest thing, but today, I figured I'll "pay for it" later. It can't be that bad, right? It's tons of lettuce and tomatoes!!

I'm paying for it. All 18 points. That's right. My yummy salad is 18 points! That's WORSE than a kids' meal from McDonald's! Wow! The sad thing is that, without the bread, it's still 11 points! I know I can make it healthier by getting rid of the bread and cheese. Plus, I could choose a different dressing, but then... what's the point of that salad? Taking all the yummy stuff away!

So, the last couple days I've been in a funk. I gained weight last week, and I think I'm still mad at myself about it. I know it's part of losing weight - having up weeks, but I only lost 2 lbs last month! That's the worst month I've ever had. I know I'm close to goal so it's going to decrease, but damn it! I should have done better than that! I used alot of my weekly points last week - 20 to be exact - and limited exercise because I hurt my knee on Tuesday. I learned that I cannot eat that many of my weekly points unless I work my ass off in the gym!

I'm trying to get myself out of the funk. I "deserved" that salad - but now I feel bad that I ate it. I should have made a healthier choice, but I didn't plan for the environment -- I didn't control my choices or anything else that Weight Watchers has taught me.

I made a healthy choice for dinner - a Lean Cuisine dinner for 4 points, but basically anything I eat tonight, unless it's vegetables, is putting me over my daily points. I took the dogs for a walk tonight, and my knee started hurting. So, I'm obviously not ready to go back to the gym. That's frustrating, too, but I need to take care of my knee or I'll end up in worse shape than I am.

So, here's to a better week! I WILL have a loss this week. And I've definitely re-learned the core principles behind Weight Watchers this week...

2 comments:

WantWait&Pray said...

Hi hun...the title of the post is perfect- lesson learned. Try not to get too down on yourself and recognize HOW MUCH you have accomplished. You are VERY dedicated and you have successfully and healthily lost SO much that these last few pounds are going to be challenging....you are up for it! It was a tough week....chalk it up to a tough week and know that next week is a new one!

K said...

You HAVE accomplished a lot. Plateaus are bound to happen. But cut yourself a break- you're doing a very VERY difficult thing (something that most people don't do successfully I might add) so its bound to have fits and starts! You tried to make a good choice, so I think that counts ;)